Using Diptic and Photoshop Express photo editing apps on the ipad

Using Diptic and Adobe Photoshop Express Apps

Diptic and Adobe Photoshop Express Apps for the iPad review


I've used these 2 apps with photos here, but of course they will work equally well with art work, digital or analogue :>)

I like the above image - it's a montage of my youngest grandson at Christmas  :>)

I put the pictures together in an app called Diptic  - which has a variety of grids you can choose from (and edit) to create montages.   You can move the images about and enlarge or reduce them within their grid.   These were all cut from larger photos. It's very very simple to use and well worth having if you want to create this sort of compilation.

The images were dropped into the grid, the text added and the whole changed to black and white in Diptic, then in Adobe PE I gave it a grainy texture.    I think these grids work best in black and white or sepia - or in the Warhol like effects of the thermal camera or similar.  It has a unifying effect that a colour photo version doesn't have even though in the original montage below images are mostly within a harmonious colour range.

the original in colour

Variations:  turning all but one of the images to sepia works well too I thought

Above I chose a different grid and  to turn all but the'startled' image to sepia, to focus attention on the one coloured image.  His new jack in the box had just shot a little frog over his head, which accounts for the wide eyed surprise 8>)

With Photoshop PE the app appears to be free but doesn't work, as you need, without paying.  It's only £1.49 but I do wish they would simply be upfront about it and charge from the beginning.  I can't remember if Diptic was free but think it was.   Both are easy to use.  Don't expect Adobe to have anything  like the features of the real Photoshop - it just has a selection of effects and adjustments, obviously for that price nothing like the range of the full programme.

 this is a montage of thermal images taken with the ipad, it's the one effect that I'd use on the camera.

 One thing I've learned with these experiments with the various art and photography apps is to go for ones that allow layers, exporting and importing - app to app, by email, to the photos folder and if they do that then they generally will  also send images straight to Facebook etc.  Not all of them do.

 So ..... 2 more keepers in these programmes.  


Comments

Art Matters said…
I've been looking for something like this for a while - thanks so much for doing my research for me, Vivien!
Robyn Sinclair said…
Tremendously effective (and very cute). I've avoided looking at the iPad photo apps because I'd have thought I would prefer the control I have with PSE on my iMac. Of course now you are tempting me to go and look at Diptic at least.
Please keep sharing your experience with apps. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.
vivien said…
I've had lots of really good advice from fiends Carol :) but I'm glad it was helpful,this was one I found myself.

Yes I nearly didn't bother Robyn but thought I'd just see what was there and these 2 I thought were worthwhile.

And thanks for sharing your haul :) I did download one of them.
vivien said…
I've had lots of really good advice from fiends Carol :) but I'm glad it was helpful,this was one I found myself.

Yes I nearly didn't bother Robyn but thought I'd just see what was there and these 2 I thought were worthwhile.

And thanks for sharing your haul :) I did download one of them.

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge