A new project, working around ideas with ink
I'm revisiting an old idea and developing it. Some time ago I did a couple of abstract paintings based on the idea of the Harlequin costume from the Comedia del Arte. One shown below is a 30x40 inch canvas.
The one above was also trying out my new Sailor Flude pen - which I really like. It's odd curved tip allows me to draw with the pen quite upright or tip it to make broad marks- the thickness of the lines in the sketch above were all done with the one pen, just angled differently.
Harlequin. Mixed media on canvas 30x40inches
This time I'm looking at Columbine as well - her costume sometimes echoed the pattern of Harlequin's. Costumes - the Comedia company were travelling players - costumes were often ragged and patched, which was the origin of the diamond pattern now seen as traditionally Harlequin. I have got hooked on the raggedness as well as the patterns of patches in the current series..
I'm interested in the idea of stage light on fabrics, the glamour vs the tawdry reality, the fraying edges, stitches and patterns and time, layers of time and history.
I plan to use a variety of painting and drawing media and in some experiment with incorporating actual fabric. I've been given a fragment of exquisitely embroidered fabric that was £120 a yard - I'd love to work that into something.
On some pieces done so far I've used actually stitching on paper and collage. Lots of playing and thinking around ideas to go. I see finished work being on canvas, paper and some digital images too.
And I need time to work from the sketches done in Cornwall and Northumberland ..... I need minions.